Journey towards Jesus in Advent
There were five sessions in all addressing the four Sundays of Advent and Christmas Day Gospel readings from Maththew, Mark and Luke. The book we used considers and contrasts each of their choices of introducing Jesus to us to that of John the Evangelist and what that means for us:
- Week one we reflected on Jesus' teaching on the last judgement, which kindly coaches his followers to prepare for the end of time;
- Week two we looked at the figure of John the Baptist and how important he is to the Ministry of Christ;
- Week three we journeyed with the "gentleman" Joseph as he faced six interruptions in his life that caused him to turn away from his dreams to follow God's will;
- Week four we celebrated Mary of Nazareth story as she welcomes the unforeseen and becomes the human tabernacle of God;
- And finally in week five we concluded our adventure reflecting on the birth of Christ and its significance for us today.
We all found greater value in studying this book which offered us a chance to reflect, to look back, to look forward and consider the greatest gift to humanity - and each and every one of us - God's only begotten Son. The book is a mix text and works of art that help us to see and appreciate more the relevance of Jesus in our lives today. We all commend this book to others to read as a group as we did or on your own and are confident you will be enriched by its messages.